Do you have favorite blogs? If so, you probably are a subscriber or follow them via Feedly.
Now, what happens after you have read a good post? Do you just share it on social networks or do you also leave a comment?
Commenting on other blogs in your niche is a great tactic to increase the visibility of your own blog. For example, you get to connect and build relationships with other writers, tap into a new audience, and create opportunities for guest posting.
With that said, the tactic will only yield good results if you do it right. Here are five ideas you should implement today.
- Include your website’s link when filling in your details. Most bloggers and commenting systems allow it. It’s the case with Jetpack Comments, Postmatic, and CommentLUV. People can even promote their Twitter handles and latest posts at the end with the latter.
- Add value to the conversation. Bloggers like to know that their content is useful. So, while “Thank you” or “Great stuff” is a great start, it is far from enough. Why not quote an extract from the post and explain why it matters to you? You could also share your experience, a relevant story, ask questions, etc.
- Link to a post in your comment. It can be yours or another blogger’s. However, do not just drop the link and leave. Take the time to explain why it is relevant or complementary. You don’t want others to see you as a spammer.
- Don’t write for the sake of writing. Instead, use the comment section to show off your expertise, exchange ideas, and foster interactions with others. The more you do it, the more others will want to check you out.
- Don’t forget social media. More and more readers tend to skip comment sections to exchange thoughts with bloggers directly on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+. Monitoring and contributing to those conversations is a great way to get noticed.
Additional tip: When you share posts on social media, don’t forget to tag authors. It is really easy to do with Google+ and Twitter.
Now, it’s your time to speak. What are your tips to turn comments on other blogs to your advantage?